Away for two years from Favignana and still have no words to describe some features of this gem of Egadi, so beautiful and so controversial. An island is still true, where the Mediterranean is blue most of the blue you have ever seen elsewhere, but in some wonderful stretches of beach a bit 'dirty and abandoned, and where, gastronomically speaking, it is difficult, especially in August, do not fall into the traps tourist. The restaurants that I tried are not worth reporting, even though there are other ways to taste the good island. Of course if you have different experiences, most recently, please let.
Florio old factory for tuna processing In normal times, this time in Favignana crowded, because there was a massacre at the end of May, Egadi are an ideal place for breeding of tuna (for the mild temperatures of the deep sea and the high rate of salinity ). Today the killing of Favignana does not take place anymore. And 'forbidden, but not for the amount of tuna killed (very low when considering the small size of this ancient rite of fishing). The bluefin tuna is now almost no longer able to migrate to the Mediterranean, because, already in the Atlantic Ocean, large flocks are intercepted by Japanese fishing vessels which make it race (you think high consumers of red tuna sashimi). But that's another story, which should not prevent you from buying the roe that there is more good.
First of all: how to reach the island. Ferries and hydrofoils depart from the ports of Trapani and Marsala (we arrive there by plane, airport of Trapani, if you come from a distance). The airlines serving the route are Siremar and Ustica Lines. Once upon a time the Naples-Favignana, but now no more, for reasons unknown to human understanding. Ustica Lines also make direct connections from Naples to the Egadi (a reader has informed us in comments). Once there, rent a bike (the fittest) or a motorcycle (remember to deal with renters, there are many) for browsing the coves of Favignana. All beautiful and diverse, but also far apart. Those who prefer the board, so either go to the Bue Marino cave, for those who love the sand, there is the Praia Lido Burrone or (near the port), and so on with Cala Rossa, Cala Azzurra, the Horse, etc.. On the island there is only one gas station (to take it easy with the schedule), so often the line is really long.
What to do:
1. A boat tour. There are many people who offer this service. I recommend the boat to Salvo. It starts around 11 am and return at 17.30. He spends the day in the sun (so high security provided to you) and dive into the crystal clear coves, inaccessible by land, make friends with other passengers, listen to Sicilian folk, have lunch with bruschetta, tuna salads and pates. Cost: € 30 per person.
2. To taste the roe and other derivatives from the processing of tuna. Although the main street of the village you will find plenty of brands that have authenticity and character of Sicily, know that, despite the activity of tuna processing was once the main economy of the island, Favignana today has remained a unique workshop, you Sammartano Conservittica called, is a family of Favignana. The tuna that work are not as clearly as those of the massacre, but they are caught in the Sicilian sea. In the shop (located in the city center, call to find out the exact street address, perhaps via Garibaldi) you can taste and buy roe, mosciame, lattume, ficazza weight, and you will be well advised also on adequate recipes for products you purchase. Tel 0923 921054
3. Buy fish from fishermen at the port: if you arrive early, you have more choice, but by late morning, you can bargain.
4. Walk on Mount St. Catherine (center island). It sounds like a grind, but if you take the walk slowly, it is nice and the view is enjoyed climbing on the top is breathtaking. Indispensable in the late afternoon, take the applause when the sun goes down alongside Marettimo (bring your own bottle of chilled white wine to drink).
5. Give to quick meals: breakfast at Bar Uccio in square array, perhaps with a croissant with ricotta cheese and pistachio or one of the beautiful granite. A cake, a slice of pizza or bread at the Bakery Madonna, on Via Matteotti 2. An almond milk at the bar "Marinaru U" at the port while waiting for the ferry.
PLACE OF THE EVENT
COMMENT "WHAT TO DO IN FAVIGNANA"
IN ADDITION TO "WHAT TO DO IN FAVIGNANA" MAYBE YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN THESE ARTICLES?